Sunday, May 16, 2010

Chinese Cocktail Buns 雞尾包



http://blog.junbelen.com/2010/05/12/how-to-make-coconut-buns-chinese-cocktail-buns/

I haven't baked for almost a month now.  My husband and I came back from holidays last Sunday.  I'm still jet-lagged.  I kept waking up in the middle of the night and couldn't go back to sleep.  Fortunately, I didn't feel tired when I was at work.  I was so looking forward to this weekend so I could sleep more.  It turned out I had only 4 hours sleep Friday night.   This morning I woke up at 6 am and all I wanted to do was to bake. 

These buns are a specialty of Hong Kong, their chewy interior is the sweet coconut filling.  These buns brought back some childhood memories so when I found this recipe through Tastespotting, I was determined to make them.  This recipe yields 12 delicious buns.  I wasn't able to grind the coconut flakes into smaller flakes using my mini chopper, I would have preferred a smoother filling.  The buns are soft and moist, but quite solid (not dense).  I may adjust the flour to 3 cups or even 2 1/2 cups if I make these buns again.  





3 comments:

Cherry said...

Try using desiccated coconut for a finer texture for the filling. You can find it in asian supermarkets near the seasoning or chinese dried beans section.

But oh, cocktail buns are so evil!

jwingyee said...

Thanks for the tips. Yeah... they are evil!

Lorita Mao said...

Yes so evil but can't resist. I should give this a try next week.