Saturday, March 27, 2010

911


Speaking of flour, I have a story to tell.  Since I have picked up baking as a hobby, I have learned to use different kind of flour for baking breads, cakes, pastry and so forth... I had all these flour sitting on the kitchen's countertop in their original package... they don't look so good and it's messy whenever I scooped out the content.  Before I learned to bake, one bag of all-purpose flour would last me a few years.  Now, I just buy the 10 kg bag and split it with Rita.  We were talking about how to store the flour for easy access, so I decided to shop for some big canisters.  One night, I found these cute glass canisters at Winners.  I really like them because each canister comes with chalk and a little "blackboard" (haven't heard this word for ages!!!) so you can hand-write the label.  So I bought 3 of them, got home, washed them and wiped them clean and dry in order to put the flour in.  As you can see from the picture, one canister is dedicated for cake flour; another one for bread flour... and Francis was watching me doing all these and all of a sudden he asked, "What's 911 for?"

... didn't get it?  Look at the pic again...

1 comment:

Anty Harton said...

Lovely big jars there. I love the way Ina Garten stored her flours (and grains and beans) in her giants glass jars, unfortunately I can't find those in Dublin-Ireland (everything is quite small here in Ireland compare to USA, including jars :-)).
One time I found big plastic airtight containers in Mark & Spencer shop and I bought two for my flours. I love them. Now I can't get them anymore :-(